President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition (PCFSN)
The President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition (PCFSN) educates, engages and empowers all Americans to adopt a healthy lifestyle that includes regular physical activity and good nutrition. PCFSN is a committee of volunteer citizens who advise the President through the Secretary of Health and Human Services. Through its partnerships with the public, private, and nonprofit sectors, PCFSN promotes programs and initiatives that motivate people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities to lead active, healthy lifestyles. For more information about the Council, visit www.fitness.gov and follow us on Twitter @FitnessGov.
Programs and Accomplishments:
- Let's Move! Active Schools: Let's Move! Active Schools is a collaborative effort to empower "school champions" - teachers, administrators, staff and parents - to create active environments that engage students in movement every day. This comprehensive initiative guides champions along a simple 6-step process, which provides free resources and training to help them increase physical activity before, during and after class. To learn more about Let's Move! Active Schools, visit www.letsmoveschools.org .
- Presidential Youth Fitness Program: The Presidential Youth Fitness Program is a voluntary national program that includes an assessment, professional development, and motivational recognition to empower students to adopt and maintain an active lifestyle. To learn more, visit www.pyfp.org .
- I Can Do It! You Can Do It! Program: I Can Do It, You Can Do It! (ICDI) is a health promotion program that encourages schools and school districts to provide programs that facilitate physical activity and nutrition education opportunities for children and adults with disabilities and offer recognition for their efforts. For more information, visit http://fitness.gov/participate-in-programs/i-can-do-it-you-can-do-it/ .
- Presidential Active Lifestyle Award (PALA+): PALA+ promotes physical activity AND good nutrition, because it takes both to lead a healthy lifestyle. Sign up for the six-week program to help you maintain or improve your health. Anyone age 6 and older can earn their PALA+ today - sign up at www.presidentschallenge.org .
Resources & Links:
Agency Grants, Awards, and Resources:
- Presidential Youth Fitness Program: The Presidential Youth Fitness Program resources partners offer non-federal grants to support the supplemental resources of the program. Support includes access to FITNESSGRAM software, virtual trainings and individual student awards. For more information, visit FITNESSGRAM .
Accomplishments and Successes:
- Engages school and community leaders to provide students with more opportunities to be physically active before, during and after school, and has welcomed the participation of more than 8,200 schools-more than 3.5 million students nationwide.